As contradictory as it may sound, despite having never laid foot on London soil, I have in fact experienced the fog of London.
Allow me to explain.
Any wise girl headed to the frigid doors of the UK knows that a good tailored coat is a definite must have. Sadly this year Santa didn’t deliver my dream coat. No worries. Being the resourceful gal that I am I gathered my belongings (Keys? Purse? Father? Check Check Check!) and headed to the local Macys. Being a southern California native I don’t have much experience in the coat department but I did have a few ideas in mind. For starters the coat needs to be functional. Practicality is a must. It needs to keep my bod warm and lastly it has to have some degree of local sophistication. (I want to blend in with the locals, mind you.)
Being the brave shopper that he is, my dad searched through the racks with purpose. However much like a bug is mesmerized single mindedly by the bright glow of a light, I too was initially drawn only to the froo – froo gray tweed Guess “coats”. But – they – are – just – so – pretty, I reasoned. An abrupt reminder by the pops reminded me that those outer shells scream “I am a sponge; I will soak up water”. There pretty exterior did not in the least bit fit the bill for London weather.
Our selection was narrowed down to three lovely – yet equally diverse – coats. 1) A poof jacket with a hood and lots of snazzy zippered compartments. Although it hit at the hip I couldn’t help but feel as though I were headed out for a day on the slopes. Nonetheless it would have kept me warm. 2) A tailored black water resistant coat with detachable hood. Lacking the fancy secret compartments all up and down the sleeves of numero uno, it did have functional front pockets. Hitting at mid thigh it had an inner layer that zipped all the way up to my neck. An outer layer snapped shut. 3) A charming brown coat that hit at a length below the hip, but above mid thigh (ah, say between the lengths of 1 and 2). Water resistant but lacked a hood. It had the same zipper/ snap combo going on with number 2.
Oh the choices. I nixed #1 and after much going back and forth and finally consulting with the gal keeping watch over this department I decided on number 2. It fits the bill.
Yes, some would say it was love at first glance, but I prefer not to get carried away now. And, rather appropriately I must add, is that it is a London Fog coat. Its glove – like fit assures me today, temporarily, that equipped with my coat, things are all going to work out in the UK.
(Pictures of me and the coat to come soon!!)

OMG post pics!!!
ReplyDelete