Sunday, January 31, 2010

Icy toes, Warm heart

To conclude my birthday weekend I ventured into Wales on Sunday with the Explorer's Club to see the Brecon Beacons. Although the Explorer's advertise themselves as a "walking" club, it appears that my definition of walking is a far more laid back interpretation...

We left early in the morning via mini bus (there were 14 Explorer's in tow) and an hour and a half later we were ready to see some waterfalls! As we approached the town I had a sinking feeling in my stomach because it looked dreadfully cold outside (the kind of day where you just want to curl up next to the fireplace and sip hot cocoa in your pjs). Stepping outside of the bus my fears were confirmed and for the next hour I had little to no feeling in my toes and fingers (despite wearing the thickest ski socks that I have and my sturdiest pair of gloves). It was during these frigid moments that I wished I would have bought the toe warmers that I had seen at the sporting goods store in Murrieta. The ones that my lovely sister said "I would never ever need". Yeah Sabrina, I needed them today!

There were many times when I took a moment, looked around at my surroundings and couldn't help but feel that I was in a little snow globe. You know the kinds where you can shake 'em up and the pretend snow flurries all around the figurines inside? Despite the antarctic temperatures and variance in weather conditions (snow, rain, hail and sunshine), I felt like I was in a hidden land where spectacular waterfalls were nestled deep within its center and craving to be explored.

We trecked over icy paths and very muddy brush (the hiking boots that I brought have been the best investment to date). Throughout the course of our 12 km hike, we took in the beauty of at least 5 different waterfalls. There was one where we could even walk behind it. At about the 1/3 mark (at this point I was certain that we must have been hiking for at least 10 km!), we had a cute little picnic on the rocks. Ah, my first Welsh picnic ;)

After taking in the sights of the falls we headed to the bus. The route that we took back was amusing, to say the least. We were traveling off the beaten road and down unmarked 'paths' through sheep herds. There were sheep everywhere. Consequently, and in great frequency, barbed wire fences were in place to keep the furry 'lil sheep in their pasture. It was a sight to be seen as I, covered from the waist down in mud, hurdled the fences. (Well it was less of a running hurdle maneuver and more of a timid leg hoist with the hope that all of me would end up on the other side.) The waterfalls top the trip, but the journey through sheep country is a close runner up. And in the true British spirit, we stopped off at a pub once we had made it to the bus all in one piece!

To say that I'm tired is an understatement. Nonetheless it was a great day of integrating with local British students (even joking around with them!) and taking in the beauty of Mother Nature.

I should note however that I've met, and perhaps exceeded, my nature quota for at least the coming month, but we'll see how it goes...





3 comments:

  1. Nicolette, you are an amazing writer...just thought you should know. :)
    Those pictures are also very beautiful! It looks like the trip was worth the freezing cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am using the fifth picture from the top as my screen saver at work! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete