Saturday, January 16, 2010

Twas the night before departure

... and all through the house, anxious energy mounted.

I know I should be sleeping but I have thoughts racing through my mind. It's been an emotional day to say the least. I'm excited, I'm scarred, I'm anxious, I'm hesitant. Have I forgotten to pack something? Let me check for the fifth time tonight that I do have my passport in my carry on. And for the fifth time tonight, I see it sitting right where I left it in my backpack. I've never flown solo before. What if I can't find the terminal? What if I can't find the other international students in Newark? What if........? I could play this game all night long.

Dad is coming early in the morning and together we will all drive to Los Angeles. I know that when my mom starts to cry as I try to confidently carry myself, alone, into the airport I'm going to get weak in the knees. As ready as I am for this adventure to begin, the rational side of me is raising red flags left and right.

Putting hesitation to the wayside, I feel compelled to acknowledge how blessed I am to be making this journey. The preparation for the trip was not a one man job in the least bit. And although I am getting on a plane in a few hours, in a sense, I have a lot of other people "traveling" with me. I am grateful for my parents who have been constant wells of support - both emotionally and financially. Thanks to my friends who have been rooting for me from the get-go to get out and have the time of my life; I wish I could take you all along. And a shout out to my extended family who have done nothing but love on me and wish me all the best. I wouldn't be off to catch a plane without the support, prayers and love from my amazing family and friends.

It's sweet dreams for me. Considering the 4:30 AM departure from Murrieta, I'd say I'm long overdue for sleep. I'm not sure how soon I will be able to connect to the internet, but updates will be posted soon.

PS The first part of the mystery gift was opened this evening and it contained a beautifully written letter.

2 comments:

  1. Flying alone for the first time can be a bit scary, but I'm sure someone as bright as you will be just fine!
    I can't wait to hear updates when you get settled in your new home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know that you have arrived safe and sound. The adventure begins...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete