As I ventured my way down Whiteladies Road, I couldn't help but be captivated by the charm of the sun. It was amazing to see the ground lit up and while I regretted not having my shades in my backpack, I didn't mind being blinded by the light. (No need for my gloves or scarf today!)
I have a theory about the sun. You see, when the sunshine is not out in full force (which is basically like every day), Bristolians aren't very likey to smile to passerbys on the street. Nope, they just mind their business and keep their eyes glued to their final destination up ahead. It's as if the dreary weather temporarily transforms them into antisocial beings. I still make an effort to show off my pearly whites, but rarely do the corners of their mouth shape upwards in response.
It was during my last outdoors trip that I was sharing my observation with one of my friends in the Explorer's Club and he agreed with my perception that the average joe is not likely to smile back. My hypothesis, I told my weather chatty friend, was that if the sun was out more often (as it is in California!) than the Brits would be a much more smiley bunch. He chuckled and chalked my hypothesis to 'Oh you're such an American', but friends, I am happy to report that today the sun was out and people were smiley!
It is in my professional opinion that Mr. Sunshine should become more acquainted with the British people. They really are a lovely bunch once you get to know them. So Sun, allow me to introduce you to the Brits. British people, meet the Sun. There There.. Now I want to see many more happy days up ahead!
But yes, as I was saying. I ventured into town and I passed by a Farmer's Market. I came to a complete halt - I didn't realize that they had this market set up on Fridays - and seeing as I had time to spare, I crossed the street and went to check out the local grub. Not quite as big as the Redlands Market Night, but there were still probably a dozen or so vendors set up selling all types of delicious produce, sweets and meats. I sampled nearly everything that there was to sample (!), picked up a few things and then headed off to class. What a great find this was. And I was told that vendors set up shop the 1st Friday and 3rd Saturday of every month. Oh, I'll be back.
Class went well and then I stopped for lunch at Cafe Gusto with a couple of girls. I picked up the remaining groceries that I needed and then headed home.
It was past 3 but the sun was still out. (I just couldn't get over the marvel of the beauty of the day. I made a point with every person that I interacted with today to point out 'What a lovely day it is'. They smiled, and told me 'Yes dear, it is a lovely day today'.)
As I crossed the downs to my dorm I again stopped somewhat unexpectedly because in the park there was a small group of children flying a bright kite (in the 3rd picture you can see a brief outline in the background of the kite). When I go to the beach I see kites being flown all the time, heck I have even flown a few myself, but there was something about seeing a kite flown today in Bristol, on this exquisite day, that brought me to a halt. I was enchanted. The kids seemed to certainly have the right idea to get outside and play.
I am overwhelmed by the beauty of the day and every time I walk into town something new catches my eye. The reality that this is my new home continues to settle with each passing day. I hope to have many more wonderful days in Bristol...

You take great pictures! I'm glad that you found a farmer's market-that's right up your alley. Enjoy the sun!!
ReplyDelete