My friend had invited me over the weekend to the crawl and I was stocked at the invitation to mingle and socialize with some feminist people.
A recent London Student survey carried out by Opinionpanel Research showed that one in three students in the UK thinks that a woman is responsible for being raped if she's drunk or dressed provocatively. Shocking statistics highlight how victims of rape are often condemned rather than offered the help that they need. So in order to challenge women - blaming attitudes towards rape a bar crawl was held.
The "This Is Not An Invitation To Rape Me" crawl was carried out to reinforce that women have as much right as men do to wear what they want, drink what they want and go out and have fun. Last nights rendezvous was about showing that putting an end to rape and improving conviction rates won't be brought about by restricting women's freedom or making them feel guilty and ashamed. Instead the blame needs to lay firmly with the perpetrator....
So Yeah! Well over forty (women and men) were in attendance and we stopped at about 5 bars. I had class the next morning so my bubbly consumption was limited to about 1 drink. I had a great time socializing with my English peers as well as sampling the Bristol bar scene. I am looking forward to getting more involved with the Feminist society here on campus. They are having a "Take Back the Night" campaign that I hope to be able to make later this month.
Cheers.

ah love the picture nicolette!!! so pretty :)
ReplyDelete