Whoever thinks for one minute that it doesn't get bloody hot in England is gravely mistaken. Although the striking sunshine may be an anomaly in this neck of the world, when the sun does decide to show its face boy does it shine!
Last week Maria and I decided to embark on a day trip adventure to Stonehenge. We left Bristol in the AM, took an hour train to Salisbury and then hopped onto a local bus that brought us right to the Stones. We were prepared for a bit of a let down though. Word on the street was that a major highway runs literally right next to the "sacred sight" and in terms of getting up close and personal with the giant rocks: well you can sort of forget about that - there is roping that keeps spectators at bay.
While we may have been quite a few feet away from the stones, the sun was out and it was a gorgeous day. We bummed around, listening on and off to the audio guides (more emphasis on the later though). As we nibbled away on our picnic lunch, sunbathing and trying to ignore the buzz from the highway, I noticed how all the sheep that grazed around were literally heaving because of the heat. I am pretty sure that the sheep do not fancy sunbathing quite as much as I do...
After the Stones the bus dropped us off at Old Sarum, a huge grassy rise. It was nice to wander around and marvel at the piercing yellow flower fields that were in bloom. After Old Sarum we were back on the bus in route to the Salisbury city centre.
Salisbury is a quaint English town that is probably best known for its cathedral. (A quick Jeopardy tidbit: the Salisbury cathedral is topped by the largest spire in England. Good to know, eh?) We buzzed through the cathedral, appropriately stopping to check out one of the four surviving copies of the Magna Carta, and although it was lovely inside, I was much more keen on taking a nap on the grass outside the cathedral. Maria was game. So using my purse as a pillow I curled up under the sun and fell asleep for a solid hour. It was glorious.
After the mid afternoon siesta we payed an outdoor market a visit and then found a dinner place that had outside seating available. After a filling meal and lovely conversation we were in route to the train station and back to Bristol in no time. It is amazing during this time of the year because it stays light outside until at least ten o'clock. When we got back to B-town we walked home across the Downs and I could still see the after effects of students who had taken advantage during the day of the summer - preview weather. It made me smile.
I woke up the next morning with a bit of a sunburn but alas. I was able to check another English Place To See (EPTS) off my list!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment