Friday, May 21, 2010

Reflections

I am having a very hard time accepting that my time in England is coming to a close. All silliness aside, it is safe to say that this study abroad experience has rescripted my life. I feel as though I have a new lease on life. Where I see my life headed is very different than what I envisioned it to be six months ago.

When I find myself losing composure at the prospect of boarding a plane in June I try to reflect on all the little things that made my time abroad so very, very special. Instead of being sad at the inevitable close of this chapter, I am trying to be happy for the time that I did have.

Some of the little things that brought me happiness:

Coffee dates and chats at Cafe Nero
Trecking across the Downs to class

Pubs on every corner in town

(...very conducive of course for) Pub crawls

Having my own room

British accents

The hustle, bustle and unpredictable nature of living in a city

Being, in all senses of the word, an independent lady on this trip -
thank you CPM

Trains - no matter if they do charge me an arm and a leg

Not taking science classes

A decent cup of creamed tea

The dreary weather

Cheesey chips - especially late at night after the club

Forgetting to bring my umbrella and the damn rain that you know follows

London

My feeble, but nonetheless genuine, attempt at dressing like a British girl

Talking politics

Pints of cider

Saving the Queen

Class 3 - days a week

Picnic time

Watching the pound drop (!)

Just popping over to Paris or Italy or Holland or ...

Exploring with the Explorer's Club

Being ridiculously silly all the time "So like are there jails here???"

Keeping the UK postal folks in business

... this is happiness.

This is what I will carry with me in my heart.

1 comment: