After St. Ives the girls and I headed to Penzance which was about a 45 minute bus ride away. We arrived in Penzance and found our way to the tourist info hub to pick up a map and other town literature. Then we headed to the Morab Gardens which had so many beautiful flowers; the air was fragranced by the lil beauties. We hadn't been walking for very long but I think because the sun was out in full force it sort of zapped us of all our energy. We concluded that a nap was necessary. So we curled up on the grass next to a fountain. Man do I love outside naps.
We proceded to refuel at a restaurant that overlooked the water and then we headed to St. Michael's Mount. This mount is situated in the next town over (Marazion) and from Penzance is about a 2 mile walk. Positioned in the middle of the ocean, the mount is home to a castle and when the tide is low you can actually walk across the water right up to the castle. (When it's high tide a ferry is required to get from the land to the castle.) By the time we had finished our lunch and leisurely walked over it was low tide and we just strutted our stuff right across water. Unfortunately there was not a ton of time for us to explore the castle ~ we had to be back to Penzance to catch the train home ~ so we opted instead to explore the castle gardens. They did not disappoint! Such variety in plants and flowers and they provided a fantastic view of the crisp ocean water.
We then took a bus back to Penzance. I was the first to get on the bus and I asked the driver if he would be stopping at the Penzance bus station. He replied very matter of factly to me "Actually this is a submarine so I'll be stopping at the Penzance submarine station". I was expecting either a simple Yes or No answer ~ his humorous response threw me for such a loop. I was definitely staring at him blankly for a couple of seconds before I realized that he was just joshing with me and that yes he would be stopping at the bus station. He got a good laugh out of catching me off guard (when I exited the bus I said "Thanks submarine driver!" He laughed). But I think this little dialogue exchange very nicely summarizes the care free nature of the locals of Cornwall. They didn't seem to take life too seriously and I think that was why I liked this region of England so much.
While I wish there had been more time to explore other towns of Cornwall my dad has promised me that he'll come back to England with me and together we can attempt the South West Coast Walk. You can rest assured that I won't be forgetting his promise either!

No comments:
Post a Comment