Saturday, April 17, 2010

English Picnics

I want to put my spring break entries on hold for the moment and talk about my day today.

For starters, I don't think it is healthy to be this happy.

I woke up this morning and decided to head into town to pick up some produce at the farmer's market. I looked out my window to see how many layers would be necessary before I headed out. It looked sunny but let me be the first to tell you that looks can be deceiving. Not today though friends. I decided to take a gamble and go out in capris and a tee - no jacket, no tights - and, gasp, I was perfectly fine.

I returned back to my flat less than an hour later and determined that it was criminal for me not to take advantage of this spectacular British weather. While a bike ride would have been lovely, I don't have a bike. I do however have sandwich stuff and a towel. So it seemed natural for me to go on a picnic!

After getting my grub together I walked back in the direction of town and found myself a cozy little spot on the Downs (a huge public grassy area ~ multiply the Redlands quad by about a 100 and you get the Bristol Downs). Lots of other folks had the same idea as I did and it was see nice to see families, Rugby players and doggies out and about.

I spread out my towel, slipped off my sneakers and let my toes sink into the grass and set up my picnic. The sunshine was out and there was not a cloud in sight. Talk about a beautiful day. I ate my lunch, listened to some tunes, read mail from fishie, "ger-naled" a bit, and then decided to slip off some of my layers. (Jeeze, this wasn't a naked picnic. What kind of girl do you think I am?) I am glad that I didn't listen to my mother when she told me "You will not need your bikini in England" well because today it got some good use. I think bikini - picnics - on - the - quad must be a California thing because I am afraid that there were not too many locals who shared my excitement in such an event. But that's alright. Maybe I'll start a new trend.

An hour or so later I decided that I had had my fair share of the sun. I made my way back to my flat, hopefully with a bit of a tan. If tomorrow is a nice day too I might just have to go for a Round 2 Picnic.

I'm telling you that if good days like these keep up I just may never leave...













No comments:

Post a Comment